Sunday, 22 July 2012

My Two Cents of Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe"

I have a love-and-hate relationship with this song. Its music video with Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber became viral and has more than 45 million hits in youtube! The song is about a girl who likes a boy and has given her number and ask to call her (maybe?). The tune is also catchy and the type you'll play in the morning as your 'wake me up' song. I played that song for more than a thousand times and I love it. Let's check the lyrics, mainly the chorus:
Hey I just met you, and this is crazy. But here's my number. So call me, maybe?
I have two opinions about this song. First, as a modern 21st century girl, we have the right to speak our mind. We no longer live in a caged corset world where everything needs to be done with utmost modesty (picture 18th century). We have been given freedom to be our self and not to be overshadowed by male domination. This means if we like a guy, it is ok for us to ask them out first, Plain and simple. Most especially if the guy you like is not noticing you.  Maybe that's the inspo of Jepsen's Call Me Maybe. There's no need for us girls keep our feelings for the guy we love. If you like a guy, tell him!  One of my friend told me that Call Me Maybe is a cheapo booty call song: 'call me maybe?. I was totally against it. You can freely express it (but not to the extent of  kissing and sleeping with EVERY guy you like, that's not what I mean).

On the other hand, we know we still have Maria Clara genes running through our veins. Uber conservative people might hate the song's lyrics. Asking a boy out is a definite no-no!!! I am part conservative-part modern. Though I haven't tried asking a guy out, I know I can tell the guy that I like him. But I still let them do the chasing. And living in a patriarchal society, some guys don't like girls giving motives. They still want to be the one who will ask the girl first.   

The song is now giving me headaches. But maybe I am just over-thinking. It is just a matter of choice anyway. It is still up to you if you want to chase the guy you like or the other way around. Just do it with class so you won't end up feeling cheap and hurt. xx  

No comments:

Post a Comment